Thursday, February 23, 2012

Must...Stop...Eating... Candy...


I love the idea of lent...giving up something, especially something you may or may not be addicted to (have I mentioned candy?) showing your commitment of bettering oneself.  I am so impressed with those cute piano students who year after year, come to lessons during lent, letting me know they cannot have one of my little candy treats because they have chosen to give up sweets...you guys ROCK! 

But the reality for me, as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (or Mormon as we are more commonly known), we give up quite a bit already.  I feel like we are observing this practice each and every day. And as I chose to forgo certain things with a happy and willing heart (alcohol, smoking, tea, coffee, my two day weekend, etc), I don't honestly know if could let candy go too. I mean, sugar is rather harmless isn't it?!

I hate to admit it but I think it now has become a problem. And it all begins in my closet.  I have a huge Rubbermaid container, overflowing with bags and bags of M&M's, Hershey Kisses, Dove candy bars, Kit Kat's, Swedish Fish...and so much more.  I get most of it for free so I find it quite difficult to not take these delightful sweets off the shelves when the price is so right!

This free and unlimited candy supply has been in existence for many years.  But it has never been a real temptation for me.  Until recently...

Each night, after a stressful and very long day filled with avoiding household chores, lunch dates with friends, long runs in the warm spring like air, a few music lessons with darling students...I need (really need) a treat.

Or at least that is what I tell myself.

And because I know treats are easily accessible and taste so good AND seem so harmless AND make me so happy, I have been eating candy...lots of candy.

I believe when something "can't" be stopped, it should most definitely be stopped...immediately! 

And there lies the problem. I can't.  I won't.  It just seems pointless to simply not eat it for 40 days and then on day 41, go crazy and make up for lost time by stuffing my face with chocolate.

That is why I have come up with my plan B.  This grand idea comes from my dear friend Vanessa (and healthy eater extronanaire). Instead of completely saying no to all sweets (and knowing good and well that I will never stop eating candy), why not simply cut back?!  In honor of lent, I have decided to make a change...something that I hope will last much longer than 40 days...and will change me for the better.

I have taken all of my candy out of my bedroom.  I have purchased small snack size baggies and in those bags have placed realistic sized porportions.

I truly believe in the wise council, moderation in all things.  Too much or too little of anything rarely generates long lasting benefits.

I  really think this is going to work (I will let you know)! 

P.S...if you want some candy, stop by!

No comments: