Monday, January 9, 2012

Don't Bother With Ruts



Today I was running with my friend Ann (it's true, it does seem like I run a lot...and I do).  She shared with me a thought about ruts, heard from a church service a few weeks ago.  This is what I thought about after she shared:

Ruts are quite nice..

How lovely to be cozy and safe, warm and comfortable in a rut! I mean who wouldn't want to sit back and watch the world pass?  You would be free from the hustle and bustle of life, free from pain, free from work, free from fitness, free from study, free from pretty much anything hard!

Ruts are quite nice...

I have actually tried a few times to be in a rut. In fact, about 5 years ago, I decided to put myself into a rut. It was MY turn. I got up one morning...wait no, I DIDN'T get up, I stayed in bed.  Yeah, you heard me right, I stayed in bed. After hearing the last child shuffle out the door to school and my husband left for work, I started my day of "rutness."  I figured I would doze back to sleep, having a lovely snoozy morning and snuggle in my warm down blankets.  After slowly waking up, I would turn the television on and watch it...all day.  My plan had me eating bon bons, not showering, staying in my PJ's and absolutely not doing any housework...basically my plan had me doing nothing all day long.

Ruts are quite nice...for about 20 minutes.

I tried so hard to fall asleep...but I just lay there thinking about all of the things I should be doing.  I pushed those crazy thoughts aside but it wasn't working.  I knew if I didn't clean up the morning dishes, no one would. I would simply have caked on bowls that would require MORE work. There would be MORE dishes, stacking up in the kitchen. There would be MORE laundry (I would have to do it sometime), mouths to feed, clothes that would get tighter as I ate more bon bons than calories burned...you get the picture...a rut would create more work for me in the long run.

So after 20 minutes I sat up in bed and got out of my rut.  Luckily a 20 minute rut is much easier to get out of then a 20 hour, 20 day, 20 week, 20 month, 20 year...RUT!

I put on my running gear and walked down the stairs.  I quickly straightened the kitchen  and started a load of laundry. I went for my run, showered and dressed.  I planned a lovely dinner after a quick trip to the grocery store. I baked some cookies for the children to enjoy when they walked into the door.

Later that afternoon, my children arrived home.  With hugs a plenty and the day's adventures shared (I actually had some of my own)...I realized I didn't ever want to be in a rut...they really aren't that fun.

Ruts may be comfortable (for a bit) but the longer you remain, the harder it is to get out.

So...I am not interested in getting in a rut.  I try to keep moving forward with just the right amount of momentum to prevent me from getting stuck in a one.  Doing a little bit of this and a little bit of that...keeps me going.

Thanks Ann for our run (I actually thought I may try another "rut" today and stay in bed)...so happy I didn't!

No comments: