Thursday, July 26, 2012

St. George Marathon




I am currently training for the St. George Marathon.  After a few tries, I finally made the lottery. Most of my east coast friends have never heard of this coveted race.  This race boasts, ideal weather conditions, an awesome drop in elevation (perfect for a PR) and is limited to only 7400 runners.

It is also:

Voted "Most Organized" by Runner's World Magazine survey. January 2010 issue

15th Largest Marathon In The USA 

Listed in Runner's World as the "Fastest Fall Marathon" and included as one of Runner's World"10 Most Scenic Marathons and Top 20 In the USA." And one of the "Cream of the Crop"marathons in the nation. 

Just take a look at that drop from 5240 FT to a blessed 2680 FT.  I like.




I am determined to beat my fastest time of 3:30 (and some change) finally, after years of trying to accomplish this goal.

It takes time. It takes determination. It takes a lot of pain. It takes  A LOT of running.

If you think I am kidding, just take a look at this week's runs:

Monday: 6 miles with 6X 100's
Tuesday: 12 miles
Wednesday: A Much Needed Day Off
Thursday: 11 miles with 6 at 15K Pace
Friday: 5 miles
Saturday: 20

Total: 54 Miles

The toughest two things about training right now are the blasted heat/humidity and having the kids home. Getting up before the sun rises is NOT "my thing."  And trying to fit a 2 hour run in while shuffling kids to and from swim team, camps, and piano lessons can be tricky.

But you know what?  I am actually doing it!

I make each day its own.  I focus only on that days responsibilities.  After completing one day, I move along to the next...and something amazing is happening...I am doing it.

St. George, here I come.



No comments: