Sunday, November 4, 2012

And So We Are Reminded...



I was reading in Luke, chapter 10 the other day, I came across the story of Martha and her sister Mary.  We read that upon Jesus' arrival, Mary immediately sits at His feet to listen to His word.

Later, after Martha has been "cumbered about much serving," she says to the Lord, "Doth thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? Bid her therefore that she help me."

Jesus' response surprises many of us (as I am sure most of us have felt this very way), "Martha, Martha (I love how he says her name two times...I feel the love and understanding He must have for her), thou art careful (which means worried) and troubled about many things...but one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her."

I have read this story many times and have honestly been a little frustrated by His response.  While I completely understand his explanation of Mary choosing the "better part," I can't help to have sympathy  for Martha.

I mean, who doesn't start cleaning "madly" upon hearing a friend is stopping by?  We quickly straighten, light a candle and pop in a batch of cookies.  And if we are having really special visitors, we go all out, cleaning the entire house, baking, placing centerpieces perfectly...we do anything and everything to make our guest feel at home.

So here we have Martha, most likely preparing a lovely dinner for their special guest...feeling exhausted, wanting to join Mary at Jesus' feet but knowing the work needed to be done by someone.

But this time as I read these verses, instead of feeling like Martha was getting chastised, I felt she was given a simple reminder.

As we go through this life, there is truly only one thing that is needful...and that is our willingness to follow our Savior.

Too many times we feel we have to have the cleanest house, the skinniest bodies, the nicest cars, the best Sunday School lesson, the perfect children...and we become worried and troubled about many things...and with many people (who should be helping us).

But really, these things aren't important at all...and I think Martha knew that (and Christ gently reminded her).

Each of us are invited to bring all of our worries and troubles and for a moment sit at Jesus' feet. It is here He can comfort. He can heal. He can remind us what is needful...Him.

And then, when are "recharged," we can go about life's responsibilities.


No comments: