Friday, July 29, 2011

Thoughts On Forty


In a week I will be turning 40.   I was totally fine with the idea until my arm started hurting a few months ago.  I think it's tendinitis.  Simply straightening my arm hurts like the dickens. Garth laughs and says, "You've joined the forties club...welcome."

And then there is the memory loss.  My kids wonder why I ask them something and moments later I ask them again (or at least that is what they tell me).  I guess I can't remember.  Garth thinks it is funny (unless he is the one listening to me re-ask a question). 40?

What about my first mammogram results!?  Grateful to be cancer free but what is up with my ob/gyn calling to let me know he sees "early vascular calcification in my right breast coronary artery?"  Heart disease? Seriously?! I don't eat that much guacamole (and isn't that good fat)!  I could always start exercising...oh wait...already do that. Forties?

And speaking of exercise...yesterday I went out for a ride on my bike.  Four miles in my head started pounding. I had to stop. I took a drink of water.  Loosened my pony tail.  Took off my helmet for a few minutes. I tried everything to relieve the pain. In all my life, I have never had to call Garth to pick me up while out exercising...forties I tell you.

So turning 40 never really bothered me. And maybe it won't since I am only 39 and that is when I am experiencing all these weird symptoms (remember hernia surgery and gall bladder removal).  Maybe next week when I do hit the big 4-0, I will feel better.

I will let you know!

1 comment:

Shawni said...

I'm feeling the same way leading up to forty. How did that happen so quick?

It was SOOOOOOO good to see you in Richmond.